Tuesday, September 22, 2009

"Meatloaf", Potatoes, Carrots

So sorry, you guys! I had to stick my meatloaf and potatoes in the oven again as they were undercooked. So sorry!!! And I was late dropping off. Ugh!

Once the meatloaf cooked a bit and the potatoes became softer, they were pretty yummy, in my opinion. All recipes are from Mark Bittman's How to Cook Everything Vegetarian.

Meatloaf
makes a 6 cup loaf
2 onions
2 cups walnuts or other raw nuts
2 cups oats
2 eggs
2 TBL miso, ketchup, tahini, etc. Something to bind.
2 TBL spice (I used New Mexico Chili Spice blend)
Salt and Pepper

Whack it all together in the food processor without getting it too mushy. Cpread in greased loaf pan, cover with foil, bake at 350 degrees for 30 minutes. Uncover and bake another 30 minutes. I think this should be baked longer covered or at a higher temp.

Baked Potatoes
Wash and rub potatoes with olive oil. Cover in salt. Bake at 425 for 1 hour.

Glazed Carrots
1 lb. carrots
2 TBL butter
1/3 cup water
salt and pepper

Put in pan, simmer with lid on for 20 minutes. Uncover and cook until most liquid is gone.

I did cook for 5 families tonight because I delivered food to Heather. Who wants to cook when they are so pregnant? Total: $28.17. Better!!

4 comments:

  1. great comfort food for a rainy day! i love nut loaf!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You know, guys...er...ladies, I as afraid I wouldn't like all the meat substitutes on the menu for this week, but I was so pleasantly surprised! I'm so glad to know about a wider variety of stuff I may not have tried on my own!

    Courtney, our "meatloaf" was fine--I just decided I had to not think of it in terms of a meat substitute, but just a casserole :). Blake thought the potatoes were hard at first, but ended up liking them. The whole meal was delicious. Thanks again!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sooo good, thank you so much Courtney, my mom loved it too and Roman ate a huge piece of loaf :) I can't tell you how much we are missing these meals this week, esp. since I'm on bedrest!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I loved the bake potatoes - I have been craving them all pregnancy. We were so-so on the meat loaf.

    ReplyDelete