Monday, September 21, 2009

"chicken" & biscuits, corn on the cob, carrot juice

wOw! you mama's rock! cooking for four families was certainly a challenge and a learning experience for me!

"chicken" & biscuits
(this recipe is for one family)

2/3 package quorn "chicken" tenders (on sale at whole foods!)
sautee frozen tenders in olive oil, s&p until browned and set aside
------------

2 1/2 cups no-chicken stock
place in small sauce pan and heat until hot

----------------------

6 tablespoons unsalted butter

1/2 onion
2-3 celery stocks
3-4 garlic cloves (add towards end)

1/3 cup flour

In a large pot melt the butter and saute the onions and celery over medium-low heat for 10 to 15 minutes, until translucent. Add the flour and cook over low heat, stirring constantly, for 2 minutes.

Add the stock to the sauce. Simmer over low heat for 1 more minute, stirring, until thick.

---------------------

1 t salt
1/2 teaspoon pepper
1/4 cup heavy cream
1 cup medium-diced carrots (i steam them until almost done)
1 cup peas (i like petite frozen)
fresh thyme & oregano

Add salt, pepper and the heavy cream. Add the tenders, carrots, peas, onions, and herbs. Mix well.

Place the stew in a 10 x 13 x 2-inch oval or rectangular baking dish. top with biscuits, brushed in egg wash, and bake for 15 minutes @ 375 degrees or until biscuits are done. i didn't have time to make biscuits so i used the natural ones in the tube from central market.

corn on the cob
bring pot of water to a boil add corn and cook for ~15- 20 minutes
season with butter and salt


organic carrot juice
we have a champion juicer. organic carrots from costco.

total cost $43.39

oops! i didn't really know what the budget was but looks like i went over! oh well, hope you enjoyed it! :)

3 comments:

  1. We loved this meal! It was our first experience with quorn and I'm sold. The corn was so sweet and the carrot juice was excellent as usual.

    I've definitely ventured into to the $40+ territory. It takes practice to get the right balance of cost and prep time. I think I've only actually started to hit it in my last 3 meals.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Freya and I were out of town but Mark LOVED this meal! I had the juice and oh, so good! $40 plus is easy to do, so I understand! It's hard finding that balance, like Holy said. Welcome aboard!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really loved this. I'm always wary of fake meat, since I don't like real meat, but I loved this. It was so comforting. Thanks for the carrot juice, too! YUM!

    ReplyDelete