Monday, September 14, 2009

Lentil Bake, Rosemary Sweet Potatos and salad

Ok, we'll see how this turns out. My friend said her kids love it, but it looks really really soupy in the oven right now, so I'm holding my breath.

Lentil Bake: ( I doubled this recipie, but it still doesn't look like that much...)

Mix together:
1 3/4 cups Lentils, 2 cups water, 1 bay leaf, 2 tsp salt, 1/4 tsp pepper, 1/8 tsp margoram, sage, thyme, 2 large onions-chopped, 2 cloves garlic, 2 cups canned tomatoes
Cover and Bake 30 minutes

Uncover and add 2 large chopped carrots, 1/2 cup celery. Re-cover and bake 40 minutes.
Stir in 1 green pepper-chopped, 2 Tbsp chopped parsley. Sprinkle cheese on top

Rosemary sweet potatoes:
Cut up 8 potatoes, sprinkle with salt, drizzle olive oil and rosemary, Bake covered for 45 minutes or until soft!

Salad: mixed greens with Walnuts and craisins!

Cost-
onion- 1.80
sweet potatoes- 5.00
green pepper- 1.00
celery- .50
cheese- 4.00
carrots- 1.00
tomatoes- 2.00
lentils- 1.50
spring mix- 4.00
Walnuts, craisins, spices, I have already and don't know what they cost...

Total- $20.80


4 comments:

  1. Mark and I really liked the lentil bake. Freya is on a dinner strike right now, so she can offer no comment.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Delicious! Just had this for lunch and it really satisfied.

    ReplyDelete
  3. yeah, it didn't turn out as bad as I thought it was going to... I think the lentils could have used about 30 more minutes of cook time, but I think I'll make it again sometime!

    ReplyDelete
  4. We liked it! Yum! I think I'm going to try our leftover lentils on a sandwich.

    ReplyDelete