Saturday, August 29, 2009

Dinner 8/27/09

Zucchini-Crusted Pizza from The New Moosewood Cookbook
:::I topped this with tomatoes, mushrooms, kalamata olives, bell peppers, goat cheese, mozzarella, and parmesan. I hope the zucchini crust wasn't too much for Mark, Courtney!:::


Shelley's Potato Salad from Vegetarian Cooking for Good Health, by Gary Null
  • 2 cups red potatoes, steamed 15-20 minutes and sliced.
  • 1 cup sliced hard-boiled eggs
  • 1/4 cup chopped fresh parsley
  • 2 tbsp. chopped fresh basil
  • 1/2 cup diced onions
  • 2 tbsp mustard
  • 1/2 cup cider vinegar
  • 1/4 cup olive oil
  • 1 tbsp chopped fresh dill (I used 1 tsp dried)
  • 1/2 tsp salt
  • 1/4 tsp freshly ground black pepper
  • *I also added fresh green beans and corn off the cob
Toss all ingredients together and serve cold or room temperature.


Sweet and Salty Honey Nut Bars
  • 1/3 cup honey
  • 2 cups seeds, nuts, or coconut ( I used a mix of sesame seeds, coconut, almonds, and some macadamia nut meal).

Heat honey on stovetop to soft ball stage (240 degrees), then mix with nuts and press into pan. Refrigerate or freeze, then cut into bars. Store in freezer or refrigerator.

::::This was a little salty for my taste. The macadamia nut "meal" was from some nuts that I bought in the bulk section. I thought I was being clever using it in this recipe, but I think it was mostly salt :(. I also think maybe I should try heating the honey to almost hard ball stage, so that the bars will hold together better.::::


3 comments:

  1. So good, Summer! Mark and I loved the pizza and the salad. I agree the treats were on the salty side, however I have really low sodium levels right now and I need all the salt I can get!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Delicious Summer, I LOVED the pizza crust! I still have some treats left, i'm going to mix in with vanilla yogurt or ice cream!

    ReplyDelete
  3. We loved this meal and ate every bite. I thought the treats were salty...but I couldn't stay away from them.

    ReplyDelete