Monday, August 10, 2009

Dinner 8/10/09


Quinoa, Broccoli, and Cheese Casserole

1 1/2 cups quinoa
2 Tbl. oilve oil
1 onion
2 medium broccoli crowns, cut into bite sized pieces
1 1/2 cups grated sharp cheddar cheese

Cook quinoa in 2 cups water for 20 -25 minutes. Saute onion and broccoli in skillet. Combine quinoa, broccoli mixture and 1 cup cheese. Put into 2 quart container, top with 1/2 cup cheese. Bake at 375 for 30 minutes.

Baked Sweet Potatoes
Wash sweet potatoes. Rub in olive oil into skin. Bake at 400 degrees for 45 minutes.

Asparagus with Pecans
Wash and trim asparagus spears. Drizzle olive oil and toss. Bake at 375 for 10 minutes. Add a handful of pecans and continue baking for 10 more minutes.

Chocolate cookies
Lots of butter, cocoa, and Freya love!

Quinoa, asparagus and sweet potatoes are expensive! I did make 5 casseroles, to give one to Alicia Philly on Friday. I made four family portions of sweet potatoes and asparagus. The total cost was $39.41. Ouch!

4 comments:

  1. This was great, Courtney! Thanks for the super tasty, veggie-ful meal!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yumm, yumm... This meal made my day!! those cookies rocked :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Chris says this was his favorite meal so far. I loved it too! Where did you get that Quinoa? I've never seen it with the husk still on. And don't worry about the cost...I'm going to weep when I add the cost for my latest pasta dish.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Quinoa was from Central Market bulk section. I chose the red quinoa over the other one because it was cheaper. Still organic, but $0.50 less per pound.

    ReplyDelete