Tuesday, August 18, 2009

Dinner 8/1/7/09

Beans and Greens
one bunch of greens (mustard, collards, kale, or spinach)
2 T olive oil
1 onion
3 cups black beans
2 T balsamic vinegar
salt and pepper

Saute the onion in olive oil. Add the chopped greens and let steam for 15 minutes or so. You might need to add water for steaming. Stir in cooked beans. Add vinegar and serve.

Chili Cheese Grits
1 cup stone ground grits
2 T butter
1 4 oz. chopped chilies (I used 2 roasted hatch chilies from Central Market)
2 green onions
1 1/2 cup grated sharp cheddar cheese
salt and pepper

Boil 4 cups water, slowly whisk in grits. Cook 20 minutes, stirring occasionally. Add rest of ingredients and stir until smooth.

Honey tomatoes, cut carrots, Ranch Dressing

As a pregnant mama, I so did not want this meal after I made it. Totally turned off! My feelings will not be hurt if you didn't like it, either!

Cost: $25.00. Cheap meal.

3 comments:

  1. I think that's the beauty of the coop... I eat things that I normally wouldn't like (greens) b/c I didn't have to cook them myself!! I loved the grits and Roman is now a major fan of ranch (he ate almost all of the carrots!)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dash loved the carrots and ranch. I think he'd have drank the whole bowl of ranch if I hadn't been watching him. We enjoyed the greens, and the grits were so nice and comforting after a day of unpacking. I'm so grateful for this group!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I liked the grits and Lucy actually ate tomatoes and carrots dipped in ranch...a lot of ranch. I wasn't a huge fan of the beans and greens. I think I'm partial to black-eyed peas or butter beans with my greens.

    ReplyDelete