Monday, July 20, 2009

Dinner 7/20/09

Savory Bread Pudding: $15.50

From Mark Bittman' s How to Cook Everything Vegetarian

For one 8 by 8 in. pan:
1 onion
2 cups mushrooms
3 cups milk
4 Tablespoons butter
1/4 chopped mixed fresh herbs (I used Rosemary, basil, and oregano from my garden)
salt and pepper
8 slices day old bread (I used multigrain)
3 eggs
2 cups grated Monterrey Jack cheese

Saute mush, onions. Let cool. Butter an 8 by 8 pan, cut bread and put in pan. Warm up the milk with butter and herbs, salt and pepper. When butter melts, pour into pan with the bread. Let it soak a couple of minutes. Beat the eggs and add in the cheese and mush/onion mixture. Pour into pan and mix all together. Bake at 350 for 1 hour in a bain marie.

Corn Slaw: $10.25

From Nava Atlas' The Vegetarian 5 Ingredient Gourmet
makes enough for one family

8 oz. bag shredded coleslaw cabbage
2 cups frozen or fresh corn
2 scallions
1/2 bell pepper (I used both red and green)
1/2 vinaigrette
salt and pepper to taste

Mix all together.

Pineapple and Honeydew: $6

Total cost of meal: $31.75

Thanks for letting me drop off early. I had a blast at my happy hour!

4 comments:

  1. So delicious! What is 1/2 vinigrette in the slaw recipe? I'm thinking of making that dish for my family reunion.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yumm.... just ate some leftovers for lunch! Roman loved the slaw :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. The vinaigrette is a homemade one: dijon mustard, herbs (fried, I used a mixture from penzey's called Bavaria), red wine vinegar, honey, olive oil. I eyeball everything, put it in a jar and shake until it emulsifies. I'm glad you like the slaw. It was my first time to make that recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This was fantastic, Courtney. I really enjoyed it as leftovers for lunch today, too. Thanks for another yummy meal!

    ReplyDelete