Friday, September 10, 2010

Chickenless Dumplings, Salad, and Fruit

Chickenless Dumplings
This was a Martha Stewart recipe I've been looking at for years and finally decided to modify and try. I think it was one of my best co-op meals to date...hope you enjoyed. I made it again for Chris's birthday and now I'm finally posting because my sister has been asking for the recipe. I can't believe how much like chicken soup this tastes to me - especially the next day. I need to keep batches of this in the freezer since it's all I want when I'm sick...or cold.

1 package Quorn chik'n tenders
4 medium carrots
1 medium onion, thinly sliced into half moons
2 celery stalks, cut into 1/4 in pieces
1 garlic clove, minced
1 bay leaf
1 1/2 c. low-sodium stock
1 tsp coarsely chopped fresh thyme
1/4 c plus 2 tbsp yellow cornmeal
3/4 c all-purpose flour
1 tsp baking powder
2 tsp finely chopped shallot
1 tbsp freshly grated lemon zest
3/4 c finely chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley
2 tbsp finely grated pecorino
1 1/2 tbsp cold unsalted butter, cut into small pieces
1/2 c. low-fat milk

Bring 2 quarts of water, carrots, onion, celery, garlic, bay leaf, stock and 1/8 tsp salt to boil in a medium pot. Reduce heat to medium-low; simmer 20 minutes.

Meanwhile, whisk together cornmeal, flour, baking powder, 1/2 tsp salt, shallot, zest, parsley, and cheese in a medium bowl. Add butter, and blend in with fingertips until the mixture resembles coarse meal. Add milk, and stir with a for, until a dough forms.

Roll dough into 1-inch balls; add all at once to simmering broth. Cover; simmer, undisturbed, until the dumplings are cooked through, about 20 minutes.

While dumplings are cooking, cook Quorn in a pan with a little olive oil over medium-high heat. Add salt and pepper. Once Quorn is lightly browned and heated through, add to the broth.

1 comment: