Sunday, August 1, 2010

Lentil Salad, Tabbouleh, and Saffron Rice

Warm Lentil Salad with Goat Cheese
This is a long time family favorite from Martha Stewart. It's so quick, flavorful, and low in fat. Usually it includes a bell pepper - but dang since they are on the dirty dozen I keep substituting celery for bell peppers. I can't afford $4-5/organic bell peppers for co-op meals.

3/4 c. green lentils
EVOO
2 shallots, thinly sliced
1 carrot, diced
1 stalk of celery, diced
1/2 bunch of flat-leaf parsley, diced
2 tbsp balsamic vinegar
6 oz spinach, coarsely chopped
4 oz goat cheese

Bring a medium saucepan of water to a boil. Add lentils, and simmer, stirring occasionally, until tender, about 15 minutes.

Meanwhile, heat small amount of EVOO in pan. Add shallots, and cook stirring occasionally until they begin to soften, about 2 minutes. Add carrot and celery, continue to cook, stirring occasionally until the veggies are tender, about 5 minutes more. Stir in parsley, vinegar, and a little EVOO. Transfer to a large bowl.

Drain lentils, and add to bowl with veggies. Stir in spinach, and season with S&P. Crumble goat cheese into bowl, and toss gently to combine.

Tabbouleh
Another low-fat family favorite from Martha Stewart.

1 c. bulghur wheat
4 plum tomatoes, finely chopped with juice
2 bunches parsely, finely chopped
4 scallions, finely chopped
1/4 c. fresh lemon juice
3/4 tsp coarse salt
EVOO

I buy the bulk organic whole wheat bulghur wheat from Central Market and follow the preparation instructions that print out on the label.

Add tomatoes with juice, parsley, and scallions to the prepared bulghur wheat. Add lemon juice, salt, a little EVOO, and S&P.

Saffron Rice
I lost the instructions to my rice cooker and haven't been able to cook brown rice properly since. Then I came across Alton Brown's baked brown rice recipe. I've never been a fan...but this is a great recipe that makes perfect rice every time. I added veggie bouillon cubes and pinches of ground saffron to the rice too.


Total cost for 4 families = $36.00 (I did a food tree this week...finally. I've been in arrears.)

1 comment:

  1. I really loved the warm lentil salad! I am developing a food crush on Martha Stewart. Every recipe of hers that I try has been delicious.

    ReplyDelete